- Capacity - 10 lb (4.5 kg) of chocolate liquor/batch
- Has been in use since 2011
- Previously called as ECGC-12SLTA Melanger
- Ideal for small batch, R&D
- Use it for making chocolate, nut butters, tahini
- Optional Mini Drum Available for 500g test samples
- Many accessories available
- Buy just the melanger or complete kit that includes all accessories and maintenance kits
We have two variations of melangers now. 12SL is the deluxe melanger that we have been selling since 2011. We have added the tension adjustor mechanism to this unit (to replicate the functionality of the Alpha100 Grinder), for this unit and sell it as 12SLTA (previously ECGC-12SLTA). One can completely release the tension from the stones for the conching cycle so the cocoa liquor is continuously exposed to air without grinding it further.
12SLTA melanger is the latest version of the Deluxe melanger with additional options for the chocolatier to fine tune the grinding process. 12SLTA is a “granite stone on granite stone” grinder to grind cocoa bean nibs to chocolate liquor. Melanger is an ideal tool for chocolatiers who want to make chocolate liquor from cocoa bean or cocoa nibs. The melanger has specially designed ventilation system and helps to grind cocoa nibs for 24 hours or more.
The conical stones rotate on granite bottom stone of the vessel, crushing the nibs and reducing the particles of sugar and cocoa about 15 micron range fine cocoa liquor.
The roller stones and wiper are attached to the stainless steel center shaft, and the whole roller stone assembly, is removable as one piece. They are easy to clean, handle and store. The roller stone assembly is locked into the lid for reproducible tension. The conical roller stones serve dual function – conching in addition to grinding.
The Tension Adjustor accessory on the lock arm helps to conch the chocolate liquor in later part of the processing using the same unit. Release the tension while adding the ingredients or conching.
12SLTA Melanger is ideal for small chocolate businesses or for R&D to develop recipes for big businesses. In addition to grinding cocoa nibs, deluxe melanger can also be used to grind tahini from sesame seeds, nut butters from almonds, macadamia, pistachios and more. It grinds 6-8 lbs of cocoa nibs to produce 10 lbs of chocolate liquor (cocoa nibs, sugar and other ingredients together) in a single batch.
We ship to countries around the world that are permitted by the US government. To estimate duties & taxes click here
- Light weight – easy to handle
- Compact – takes less than 1.5 sq. ft (0.15 sq. m)of counter space
- Quiet motor
- Improved ventilation – long lasting motor
- Detachable grinding vessel – easy to use and clean
- Hard granite roller stones – durable
- Conical stones – to grind & conch cocoa beans
- Roller Stone Assembly – less wastage of cocoa
- Locking mechanism – reproducible tension
- 1 year limited warranty – peace of mind
- Spare parts easily available – minimum downtime
- Shipped around the world – Convenience
|8 to 10 lb (4.5 kg)
|18” x 10” x 11” (46 x 25x 28 cm approx.)
|35 lb (16 kg)
Note: 220V 12SLTA Melanger comes with a D/Europe type plug. Please use an adapter for the local plug type
SS wiper- Big Drum
SS wiper for mini drum
Lot of our customers have been using less quantity nibs in the 12SL / SLTA unit and they had trouble because the SL / SLTA unit is made for 4-6 lbs (2-3 kgs) of nibs. But we heard our customers and have come up with a solution for small batch chocolate.
This mini drum and roller stone set is ideal for customers who want to test microbatches of chocolate in a batch for recipe testing. This drum and roller stone set can grind 500gms – 1Kg (1-2 lbs) of cocoa liquor. Also the roller stones are cylindrical to imitate the Alpha100 Grinder, so scaling up is much easier
Stainless steel wipers (SS wipers) are used by the customers who want minimum delrin parts in the food contact area. It is also useful when using the ingredients that are more viscous and can stress the delrin wiper. SS wipers are also more hygienic.
Stainless steel that fits over the lock arm is available. It replaces the purple plastic lid. It is more hygienic.
Some of our customers are using the melanger for other than grinding cocoa nibs. So we have introduced cylindrical roller stone assembly for 12SL / SLTA units. You can use this assembly for grinding nut butters and other fibrous ingredients. This cylindrical roller stone assembly includes 2 cylindrical roller stones, stainless steel wiper assembly, and stainless steel roller holder assembly.
Chococleaner helps to remove the chocolate liquor stuck to the roller stones – saves chocolate and saves cleaning time and energy. Once the grinding is done, remove the roller stones with chocolate, place the chococleaner on top of the drum. Then place the roller stone assembly on top of the chococleaner. Rotate the roller stones and all the chocolate liquor drips into the stainless steel vessel.
Chocokneader mixes the cocoa liquor and other ingredients that need not be ground. For eg. some customers use it to mix the cocoa liquor with milk powder. It is also good for mixing the inclusions in the cocoa liquor uniformly without grinding the inclusions.
Or if you are using the melanger to grind the nut butters and if you want to mix the cocoa liquor without grinding them further, chocokneader is a good option.
It can also be used to knead the dough for pizza, cake etc.
- Maintenance kit with 5 years worth of wear & tear parts(US$250). Included in this kit are
- Maintenance kit with 5 years worth of wear & tear parts (US$205). Included in this kit are
Note: Please make sure the measurements given in the image below matches the measurements of your existing part before you place the order. If the measurements match then order Type 1, if not matches then order Type 2. Do mail us if you need any help. CocoaTown is not responsible for the wrong parts ordered.
Delrin Roller Insert for 12SL/SLTA Cylindrical Stones: Type 1
Delrin Roller Inserts For 12SL/SLTA Conical Stones: Type 1
- Our customers have used the melangers and Grindeurs for the following:
- Almond pieces into Marzipan
- Hazel nut pieces into Gianduja
- Pistachios pieces into pistachio butter
- Cashew pieces into cashew butter
- Sesame seeds into tahini
- Boiled chick peas into hummus
- Flax seeds into paste
- Sphagnum moss for facial pack